Dr. Noel Saliu, the Deputy Executive Secretary (Academic) of the National Universities Commission, has said that the primary purpose of a university is to produce high-quality graduates. He made this point during his presentation on ‘Curriculum and Technology: Changing Face of the Workplace’ at the 2023 Staff Colloquium held at Caleb University in Imota, Lagos.
Dr. Saliu encouraged the university staff to make use of the newly introduced Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standard (CCMAS) to cultivate world-class scholars. The CCMAS, recently implemented by the NUC, consists of 70% core courses for all programs, with universities developing the remaining 30% as innovative courses tailored to their specific needs. The curriculum also introduces blended learning methods to enhance its delivery.
He stressed the importance of focusing on producing high-quality graduates, as this remains the defining characteristic of a university.
During the colloquium, Prof. Nosa Owens-Ibie, the Vice-Chancellor of Caleb University, presented a paper on ‘Attitude Re-engineering for Curriculum Implementation.’ He highlighted how the university successfully adapted to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic and maintained its academic calendar without interruptions.
Prof. Owens-Ibie emphasized the need for a positive approach to implementing the new curriculum introduced by the NUC in December 2022. He also reminded participants of the university’s commitment to nurturing leadership qualities, stating that “character is the evidence of who you really are.”